Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Authentic Leadership

I took away some key points from Justice Yvette McGee Brown in class.  Leadership is intentional and it is tough.  I think that its important to know that being a leader is a lot of hard work and dedication.  You have to want to be a leader and be genuine about it.  I have been in certain situations that I was not agreeing with the popular decision and it was tough to say I don't agree with this but rather we should look at another option.  That is not always easy to do when you know you may not necessarily be supported by your management team or peers.  The questions Justice McGee Brown brought up made me think.  What are the things that make you able to lead?  What am I good at?  What am I not so good at?  The common thing through the readings and the speakers I am seeing is surround yourself with people that are different or are smarter than me.  It makes conversations more robust and brings new ideas to the table.  I also enjoyed listening to Dr. Val Moeller speak.  It really impressed upon me concerning the theory of Leadership of Service vs. Leadership of Power.  I strive to be a servant leader I think this is so important.  I want to be able to support those that I am leading and work for them.  I know some leaders out there that are more towards the Leadership of Power and they are not the best leaders that I have worked with.  They are selfish and are only concerned about themselves.  On the other side, I have had the privilege to work with those that are Leadership Servants and they are some of the best leaders that I know.  They care about their followers and will do their best to help them.  I am not a perfect leader and I know that I have at times disappointed those that I lead.  But, I do my best to always do the right thing and put others above my needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment