Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Women and Leadership Class 2

9-12-11 Class this past week was very interesting listening to the speakers.  I was particularly impressed with Mary D'Ginaro.   She is a District Court Judge in Ohio.   I had preconceived ideas that she would be very pro-work and not so much about family life.  To my surprise she was an advocate of being a mother and wife and raising her children first in her life. I admire that because being a wife and working mom of two I always feel like I need to defend that I am a mother first to my co-workers and management team.  I am glad that I am not alone in thinking that way.  It is very refreshing.  She found a balance to raising her children and also having a career.

Some highlights that I took away from the first chapter in the book, Leadership, is that leadership can be looked at as a trait and a process.  I beleive that a leader can be both.  I agree with the book that when a person is engaged in leadership they are a leader.  Leadership is definitely different than management.  I see that in my current position of a Customer Service Supervisor.  There are tasks that I do that are primarily management tasks to meet goals of the department, but the leadership skills come in to play when I am coaching my team to help develop them to reach their professional or personal goals. 

I liked the quote from Bennie and Nanus (1985) "Mangers are people who do things right and leaders are people who do the right thing".

No comments:

Post a Comment